Today I would like to give you a few good reasons why you should consider digital publishing for your manuscript.
It used to be in the past people considered e-publishers to be the red headed step-child of the industry. Before you post that I am picking on red-heads, I'm allowed to say that since I am a light ginger myself, LOL
Even I used to think that digital publishing was a last resort when all the 'real' publishers rejected me. But that is a very inaccurate perception.
Thankfully, just as times have changed, so have the misconceptions.
While I would still love to see my work in print...I do have a Christmas anthology coming in print this year which I am excited about...there are some wonderful benefits to digital publishing I would like to discuss today.
1. Underrepresented genres
* Vampire, witches, Regency and Scottish Highland hunks not your thing?
In digital publishing your 'unwanted' genre of romance can find a home. Whether you write erotica and male/male romance (commonly known as m/m) like I do, post WW2, 1960's New York City, Civil War zombies....whatever!
If your book is well written a digital publisher will not turn away your manuscript because regency is 'selling' and Civil War is not. Also larger books can find a home in digital publishing as do short stories under 10k
2. You get paid a lot sooner
* Hey, who doesn't love that? While a few e-publishers do pay advances, for the most part they all pay a commission based on a predetermined percentage. You can be paid within 90 days at some houses, even receiving monthly royalty checks. Believe me, that is a real nice treat once a month!
3. Personal service
* at some of the smaller houses, they are so welcoming and can be very understanding to new authors. You will never feel stupid because you are a publishing virgin. That is a blessing for sure!
4. Input in your book cover
* Of course, this is not a guarantee. Nothing in this industry is. But in my experience, input on my book covers was well received. The result has been even a few award winning covers *grins*
Take a look at this -------------->
This is my latest book cover for an erotic m/m novella...talk about an underrepresented genre in NYC.... called BEAR IT ALL available now from Decadent Publishing!
5. Professional editing
* if you do your homework, and submit to reputable well reviewed digital publishers ...even in print publishers you can find some shoddy work so homework is ALWAYS important.... your mss will be refined and treated to the best polish you ever imagined!
* promotions are up to you, which can be scary. However, the flip side is your book sales will reflect the work you put into it.
7. Affordable e-readers
* With easy to use reading devices, e-books are getting more and more attention. They are even available on your cell phone!!
As a bibliophile, I hate to admit it, print books may be a luxury one day, meant only for the famous authors, not the rest of us peons.
A lot of digital publishers do offer print options, so do not despair that you will never see your precious book in print!
But e-books are the wave of the future. Heck, even THE NEW YORK TIMES has e-book listings.
I hope these few things have given you a new perspective as to why digital publishing may be right for you.
With social media, blogs, and e-readers maybe you should consider taking the plunge and being a part of the digital revolution!
Romance with Spice...Love without Boundaries
You can find me on Facebook, Twitter and my Blog
Welcome to the official blog of Maumee Valley Romance Writers of America! We're a local writers' group in the Toledo, Ohio area. Most of us write romance, but we also have members who write other genres too. New members are always welcome to visit or join the group. See the meetings page for details. We post every Monday and Friday about all things book-related. Whether you're a writer, reader, or both, we hope you'll stop by often and get to know our dozen contributors.